Today, using clay masks to detoxify and create luminous skin is common practice. But did you know you can also use clay on your hair? It’s true! Not only does clay clean and detoxify hair, but it also replaces all those hair products you have in the shower. Let’s learn more about how to use bentonite clay to achieve the shiny, healthy hair you’ve always wanted.
Bentonite clay has been called “healing clay” in many cultures for thousands of years. The clay has detoxifying properties that bind to impurities and draw them out and away from the source. When used consistently, bentonite clay can remove embedded toxins collected over time from hair products, dirt and environmental contaminants. Learn more about the history and restorative properties of bentonite clay here.
Can I Use Clay on Natural Hair?“Invest in your hair. It is the crown you never take off.” – Unknown
Absolutely! Clay performs much the same on natural hair (and other hair types) as it does when used on the skin. Not only does it bind to impurities and remove them, it also cleans, moisturizes, defines curls and calms frizz. Another perk of using bentonite clay is it soothes and relieves dry, flaky scalps that can be associated with natural hair.
Washing your hair for the first time with bentonite clay is different than liquid shampoos. Once you try using clay to wash your hair, you will add this process to your hair regimen weekly. Here are the steps:Step 1-Mixing
- For medium length hair (shoulder length), mix 1 packet (1/4 cup) of bentonite, green, red or citrus blend clay with the appropriate amount of water - add more for longer thicker hair. (Our Kneader Bag makes mixing and storing clay easy. Learn more here.)
- bentonite: add 3/4 cup hot tap water, half at a time
- green: add 1/2 cup warm tap water
- citrus blend: add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of hot tap water
- Continue to mix until the clay texture looks like pudding and cottage cheese mixed together (2-3 minutes)
Step 2-Wash Hair
- Divide hair into 4 or 6 sections (optional)
- Wet your hair
- Apply clay to the hair from roots to ends to cover completely, detangle hair if desired
- Complete your shower
Step 3-Rinse Hair
- After completing the shower, rinse hair completely starting from the top of head down to ends
- For non-tangling results, hold hair at the ends while massaging scalp and finger detangle
- Rinse hair thoroughly
- Follow clay cleaning with your conditioner, hair moisturizer and style. Your hair will feel AMAZING, clean, soft, moisturized and wavy. Learn more about washing hair with clay, including performing a sensitivity test here.
“Hair doesn’t make the woman, but good hair definitely helps. “- Unknown
Everyone’s hair is unique, so it’s best to begin by using clay on your hair just once a week. As you become more experienced using clay, you will understand how your hair responds to it and can adjust your usage to your personal preference.
Love Your Hair with Clay!
Schedule a free consultation to learn more about creating a hair care routine with clay and our clay products. Visit our website for information about ClayLove events and all that we have to offer. Own your beauty with ClayLove!